Wednesday, February 9, 2011

February 9th: Back in Punta Arenas

Traveling through the Neumayer Channel.

Ian in Neumayer Channel.
Sunset pulling into Punta Arenas.
 Hello everyone.  I was a day off in my last update, probably because I was laying down most of the time and didn’t really know what day it was and I also wanted to be off of the ship.  Anyways, we finally made land fall today in Punta Arenas at 2:00 in the morning.  Most of us were sleeping, but we could not get off of the ship anyway because we had to be cleared by customs to come in to Chile.  The last day and a half was a lot smoother as we travelled up the east coast of Chile and into the Straits of Magellan, which was a relief for everyone.  Even if you do not get seasick it is not fun to see others not feeling well.  I forgot to mention that we were sleeping in our metal cans again, which I described earlier in the blog on our way south.  I got the special room this time, which almost felt like a jail cell inside of the metal can.  It was nice not be sleeping in a bunk bed though.

After breakfast the ship’s crew starting offloading all of our freight and I went with a small group to walk around the city and get some spending pesos for our stay in Chile.  Around noon we got to move into our hotel.  It is so nice to have a private room and shower.  I cannot say that enough.  We will be here a couple of days and then be off onto our flight back home. 

Thank you everyone for your interest and I hope you all enjoyed our stories and experiences.   

Ian and Mark signing out from our Antarctic voyage.

No comments:

Post a Comment